Widower of tragic scrambler victim thanks comedian who confronted anti-social thugs

The widower of Valerie Armstrong, who was killed when she was hit by a scrambler in a west Belfast park, has thanked comedian Jake O’Kane after he confronted two scrambler riders this week.

Seamus Armstrong said he had a run-in with two young men just three weeks after his wife’s death which he recorded on his phone.

Mother of three Valerie Armstrong (35) had been at Colin Glen Park in July walking her dog when she was mown down by a high-speed scrambler.

Last night, Mr Armstrong responded to a Facebook post by Jake O’Kane who was threatened by two scrambler riders at Cave Hill this week.

Mr Armstrong said: “I too had a run-in just 3 weeks after my wife's death with 2 young men in the very park that Valerie was killed in and I too recorded it on my phone.

“They weren't on scramblers but roadworthy mopeds. They both took off when they realised I was filming them.

“People need to catch a grip of themselves. Thank you Jake O’Kane for confronting them.”

Mr O’Kane had issued a challenge to the men who had threatened him after he filmed their behaviour.

“I'd an altercation with two idiots on massive scramblers on Cavehill. I initially filmed them but when I was assured they hadn't seen signs banning their use I naively accepted that and deleted the recording,” he posted on his Facebook page.

“Then things got interesting. The leader of the duo on a red n'white 500cc kept challenging me as to why I'd recorded them in first place. He then used the most often heard spide excuse when they're caught in the wrong, 'it isn't like we're breaking into houses'.

“I pointed out that a man is a widow and children without a mother because of a recent scrambler crash in a public park.

“This seemed to annoy the 'big boy' who told me it was just as well I'd deleted the recordings or 'someone would have ended up hurt'!

“Now I don't take well to threats and pointed out his pathetic attempt at intimidation wasn't working. They both then screamed off on their bikes showering me in a cloud of stones.”

Mr O’Kane said there was no point in going to the police as he couldn’t give an accurate description.

“They both had that spidey sallow skinned emaciated look where their parents, if not first cousins, were probably siblings,” he said.

“So here's my challenge to the hero who threatened me. You now know who I am so why don't we pair up in one of the many blue collar boxing events now taking place.

“You're half my age so I should be easy, and if you do beat me I'll shake your hand and all is forgiven.

“If you don't, then from this moment on I rename you Mitch the bitch. I'm sure someone in the scrambling community knows who this child with a small dick on a big bike is and will pass on my suggestion. Follow me on Twitter and lets work our difficulties out and make a few quid for charity.”

After Mr Armstrong commented, Mr O’Kane said he hoped he didn't mind him mentioning his late wife.

“I'm continually stunned at the ignorance, selfishness and stupidity of some of these people,” Mr O’Kane said.

“Both you and your young family are in my thoughts and I just hope no other family has to endure the tragedy you had inflicted on yours. I will continue to face down these thugs and hope the authorities eventually give this problem the attention it deserves.”

The PSNI said they advised anyone who is aware of any illegal behaviour to report it to local police.

“Quads, and some scramblers, do not comply with Construction and Use regulations and Vehicle Safety Standards and therefore are restricted to ‘off-road’ use only,” a spokesman said.

“However, this does not mean they can be driven anywhere ‘off-road’. These vehicles should only be driven on private land where the landowner has given permission and must not be driven on pavements, roads, public property or parks; this includes green grass areas and public paths.

“The law is quite clear - any vehicle used on roads should have the appropriate equipment fitted such as lights and number plates, it should also be insured and taxed and the driver/rider must have a suitable driving licence.

“Vehicles driving on public 'green spaces' are guilty of an offence, regardless of the manner of the driving.

“In both cases the police have a power to seize the vehicle.”

https://www.facebook.com/jake.okane/posts/1793900364213426

Comments

Popular Posts